Welcome to Year 5
We have lots to cover over the course of this year and these topics include:
Literacy & Numeracy
We cover the New Literacy and Numeracy Framework. This includes opportunities for
• Speaking and Listening
• Role Play
• Practical Activities
• Mental Activities
We cover all of the National Curriculum topics for Year Five in science. This is a subject we all enjoy taking part in! Our topics include
• Earth, sun and moon
• Life Cycles
• Keeping Healthy
We cover a wide range of Religion Topics that are delivered following the REVision syllabus. We also include the ‘Statement for Life’ curriculum as part of PSHE and the ‘Growing and Changing Together’ Curriculum.
This year our topics include
• Graphical modelling
• Analysing data and evaluating Information
• Introduction to Spreadsheets
• Introduction to Control
History & Geography
In Year Five we realise that it is important to understand our local environment but also to be able to compare and contrast this to other places in the north west of England and beyond. Our topics include
• Clayton (including our school) 100 years ago
• Victorian children
• Comparing our locality to another place (Lladudno)
• Water and Rivers
• How can we improve the local area?
Art & Design and Technology
Art takes place regularly in year Five and we are very lucky that Mrs Fraser and Mrs Wilson are such experts! We cover a wide range of topics such as
• Touching Textiles
We try to ensure that our art work coincides with other topics throughout the Year. Have a look at our tapestry of Clayton Hall!
We have a specialist music teacher coming in to work with us one day per week. This gives us the chance to take part in
• Playing instruments
• Singing in a class, choir and individually
• Learning about the theory and history of music
• Appreciation of music through listening and discussion
• Preparing and taking part in whole class and Key Stage productions.
We also take part in lots of other fun activities such as
• Bluezone – an After School Club at the City of Manchester Stadium where we take part in lots of fun and interactive games.
• BikeSafe – a cycling proficiency programme where we learn how to ride safely on the roads with our bikes
• Visits to St. Peter’s High School – linking up with a Numeracy teacher at the school for fast paced and fun lessons and also taking part in PE lessons and tournaments.
• Visits out – These include WasteWorks, Old Trafford Football Ground, Sport City, Lladudno as well as regular visits to our local environment of Clayton.
• After School’s Clubs – including dance, basketball, film club, netball, football, computer club …
Spellings are given out on a Monday and tested the following week; Science homework is given out on a Wednesday and is due in on Friday and Literacy and Numeracy homework is given out on a Friday and is due in on a Monday. We also encourage the children to read as much every night.
Our days for PE are Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Please make sure that you bring your kit to get changed into – especially suitable footwear!
Please feel free to call in to speak to any of us at any time – as we love the opportunity to share good news!
Website by Kittle Visual Marketing